I've been gathering information for a software project that involves calculating greenhouse emissions. I'm pausing on this project for the time being to work on something else, but since it took me a while to gather useful information, I thought that I'd share what I've found so far, in case others are interested, and to help me remember where I left off when I get back to it.
- EcoTourism.org - Understanding the Calculation of Airplane Emissions - Great write-up on existing programs that calculate emissions estimates and even the cost of offsetting those emissions (PDF).
- AtmosFair.de Online Emissions Calculator - Allows people to calculate their flight emissions, and even send in money to cover the cost of offsetting the environmental impact they made for a flight.
- ICAO Aircraft Engine Emissions Databank - Downloadable data on aircraft engine emissions. Can possibly be combined with flight performance data, Breugot Range equation, et cetera for specific aircraft models to determine actual fuel consumption.
- FuelEconomy.gov - Downloadable data on automobile MPG ratings and such.
- NASA Virtual Skies Aeronautics Module - Good background information on aircraft and flight, including some useful aeronautical calculations. Geared towards grade school students, but useful to a newbie like me.
- Denmark / Improved Overview of Aircraft Pollution and Fuel Consumption - Talks about how Denmark computes air pollution in accordance with international guidelines.